Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Le collège: Sagebien

Bonjour!
This week I am at the middle school, Sagebien. In my opinion, it is a very nice school. The neighborhood it is in is lovely. Cute little houses with yards, which is different from what I am used to. In le centre ville, where I live, the houses are very similar to San Francisco houses, but this part of Amiens has more traditional houses.
Monday I went to English classes. I am really impressed with the students ability to speak english, especially at the middle school level. If I flip it around and remember my ability to speak French at their age...well, there is a big difference. All of the teachers I have met have been very very nice. I like the atmosphere at Sagebien. On tuesday, I went to another english class. Usually, I would protest to going to so many english classes but the way it is taught is beneficial for me. The teacher will have the students ask me questions in english and I will answer. Then after I answer, the teacher will ask a student to explain to the class, in French, what I just said. It allows the teacher to see the students ability to understand the english and process it enough to explain it in French. It was different technique, but I think it's useful. It gives me a chance to hear what I said in French, and compare it to what I would have actually said if I had said it in French. I've been learning a lot of different ways to say things. More common ways, and probably a lot easier.
Today, was only a half day. After observation, I went to l'IUFM to meet up with Felicity and Travis for lunch and then conversation class with Mme Guyot.
The weather has been a bit rainy lately. It was sunny and warm (ish) this afternoon, but then got a bit colder in the evening. I'm not complaining though, I have been keeping an eye on the weather and Oklahoma. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to going home to crazy Oklahoma heat.
We have two more days in le collège. Friday is the video conference of the renewal of the MOU (memorandum of understanding), which should be interesting. Then this weekend we are off to the beaches of Normany and Pierrefonds. I am really excited about this weekend. I will update again soon with pictures from Normandy and Pierrefonds!

bisous!
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment